Friday 18 May 2007

That's about #248,000 in real money

Dude, they're totally auctioning the house opposite my window! I'm sitting here trying to write about satellite navigation systems in Vergil's Georgics and there's like fifty people standing in the street outside my house - a little girl is clinging to her daddy and grabbing at the trailing branches of our very own silver-birch - and a guy in a suit and tie stalking up and down in the middle doing auctioneer patter.

Four hundred and thirty! Oh, we're all going to hang back, are we? We're going to drag it out and up the drama?... I'm not going inside, guys, we are SELLING! It is definitely on the market, I mentioned it a moment ago but I'll make it clear, we are SELLING!

Bidding is now at $562,000.( Which bodes quite well for J's house, actually.)

Going once... going twice...

$563,000!

$570,000!

Going once...

$571,000... $575... $579...

I was just going to mention this to you guys and get straight back to work but I am TRANSFIXED. I originally thought I was intrigued because (it's my understanding that) in the UK, houses only go up for public auction when they're repossessed by the building society and thus auctions are ineradicably associated with public shame and humiliation in my mind, but now I'm just, well, TRANSFIXED. What a total spectacle! (Blimey! $590,000!) I think half the people in the crowd are just here to watch, too, so I don't feel too stupid about getting sucked in....

$594,000 we're all done... selling... selling... sold, congratulations! ::round of applause::

No comments: